Re: installing kernel 2.6.4 on (not over) 2.4

Michal Zeravik wrote:

Ok, I removed XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-55 and what should I also remove
XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-55 if I'm using nvidia drivers with kernel2.6?

michaz

I imagine that you would want to remove all things related to Mesa. As stated, I left my nvidia computer alone for trying to install Linux on it. I also made it a point to avoid nvidia on the laptap that we purchased.

For pointers on getting nvidia drivers to compile for the 2.6 kernel. I suggest reading the fedora-test archives. It might be easier to find something relevent to nvidia by looking for posts in conversation with mharris at redhat. He is the current X server maintainer and explains the mesa vs. nvidia problem in great detail.

Sorry, not familiar with the nvidia compilation. Just some of the issues with the X server.

Have you tried using the nv driver provided in the X server programs?

Jim