Re: Using java in FC1(with eclipse)-help needed

hi

> Matt Morgan wrote:
------ snip
It gives:" /usr/bin/java".I then cut out the java file and ran the command again it gave:"/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/java".I again replaced the java file and on again issueing the command it gave:"/usr/bin/java".

Do you understand how $PATH works? Forgive me if this is too newbie for you. When you type 'java' at a prompt, the shell looks through the directories in your $PATH, in order, for a program called java. When there's one in /usr/bin, it runs that one. When there isn't one in /usr/bin, it proceeds through the $PATH until it finds one, or gives up. Since the 1.4.2 version is also in your $PATH, the shell runs that one when it can't find any other ones first.

Basically you have two javas installed. One of them is either the program itself, or a link to the program, in /usr/bin. That one is the 1.3.1 version. The version you want is exactly where you think it is. Probably you can get what you want to work by simply moving or deleting the one in /usr/bin, although that may leave that version present somewhere on your computer and confuse you later. You should also follow the instructions regarding setting $JAVA_HOME in the other related messages on this topic. That will help you make sure you're always running the version you want to be running.

possibly a visit to:
<http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/index.html>
also will help clarify the situation :-)

--
good luck

peter