Extremely Slow Processing

I have just downloaded and installed Fedora Core 1 64bit for my new AMD
Athlon 64 3200. This is after installing windows 64 which errored out like
hell. The windows was not slow at all so I know that there must be some
software problem for Fedora: as soon as the installation started, it was
EXTREMELY SLOW taking several hours to install. It would "hang" and
pressing each next button or anything like that. The display would show
big colored boxes and then show the detailed info. I thought it would stop
upon the loading of X. Even before that when it was loading the system
kernal, cron, eth0, and such it took FOREVER and that is not graphics
based so im pretty sure it is not graphics related. [i am using PCI and
not AGP card if that matters]. Please help...Thnx!