RE: XP/FC1 on Dell Inpiron 5150

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 08:54, Pierre De Boeck wrote:
> > Ok Mark,
> >
> > I joined the file in attachement. Note that
> > I took the one in /etc/X11 and not the one in /etc.
> >
> > And here are my "progress":
> >
> > As no setting was working, I have reinstall everything with
> > Dell 1024*780 LCD and it was not working either.
> >
> > But I used the rescue mode to edit the inittab and now
> > I can boot in level 3 with an NIC working. :-)
> >
> > I also used wget to download the last driver
> > (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run) from nvidia
> > and executed the sh script.
> >
> > Then it complained about some compiler mismatch version.
> >
> > I joined the log file also.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help. I already installed
> > RH9 on our servers, configured apache, sendmail,.. and I never
> > had such problems. But obviously our servers hardware were more
> > common I suppose than the one found on my laptop.
>

> Ok...There are several things that you need to do:
> [...long list of instructions deleted...]

Or try the nvidia driver RPMS from rpm.livna.org
(http://rpm.livna.org/livna-switcher.html).

You may still have to modify screen settings by hand, but all the other
difficulties go away.

Do make sure your kernel is up2date, though.  The RPMs are only available
for kernel builds 2149, 2166, and 2174.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences