Re: How do I teach Spam Assassin?

Charles Howse wrote:

On Saturday 13 March 2004 02:36 pm, John Lagrue wrote:

Charles Howse wrote:

On Friday 12 March 2004 04:46 pm, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

I've been collecting spam email that's gotten past my Fedora Core 1
installation of spam assassin (spamassassin-2.63-0.2) and I'd like to
"teach" spam assassin about these messages (update the heuristics to be
able to filter these messages that are getting past the filter by
default).

Someone posted a command that does this on the list some time ago and
I've unfortunately lost that message.  How can I teach spam assassin
(system wide) about this email?  Thanks!

man sa-learn will give you the details. Using KMail, I use the following to teach: sa-learn --spam --dir /home/charles/Mail/.Spam.directory/MissedSpam/*

That does it if spamassassin in running on a per-user basis. However the original question is how do we do this on a system-wide basis? Like, for example, on my system where I filter ALL incoming mail with spamd before sorting it into users' mailboxes. How in this case do I teach SA?

Whoops!  Excuse me for not reading the original question properly.

In your case, each user will be getting missed spam in their "inbox", correct?

The only thing that I can think of is for each user to have a "MissedSpam" folder, and be trained to move all spam to that folder. You probably don't want to run sa-learn on the inbox, some people never clean it up, leaving old msgs there instead of filing them in a sub folder.

Then you could write a simple script that loops through each MissedSpam folder, and runs sa-learn.

That won't work. Runnng sa-learn on indivual mailboxes creates (as far as I understand it) a set of bayesian rules in the .spamassassin directory for that user. But as spamd is running before each user's mail is delivered then those rules will never be applied.

I am trying to find out how to create system-wide learned rules for SA.

John