Re: Resizing Paritions

At 20:37 3/13/2004, you wrote:
Check out GNU Parted, I've never used it myself, but it claims the
functionality your after.

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

Craig, if you top-post, it is much harder to follow a discussion logically. Please consider posting at the bottom (and trimming appropriately) so text follows a simple chronological sequence as it is read.

Parted will indeed move and resize partitions without damaging data (although backups are always recommended... no tool is ever bullet-proof). I've used it at least 150 times over the last three years with good results every time so far.

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 17:50, Mark Limburg wrote:
> When I built the Fedora box, I may have underestimated the size assigned
> to /usr ... I'm about 1.5G free in there, and I've got plenty of space
> in /home I could redirect into it.

While parted will do what you want, I would not advise you to change anything at this point. If you have already installed your system the way you want it, you are not bloody likely to install an *additional* 1.5GB of packages into /usr. In my case it's never happened. I would suggest that you not change anything for now... then later, if and when you find yourself with less than 300MB or so in there, *then* you can go and resize your partitions.

At a guess (but based on lots of experience), the odds of your filling that partition are so low as to warrant not taking any action at this time. You can always do it later, but I would think the odds of your dropping lots of stuff into /home is higher... the installed software does not grow dramatically, but user data usually does.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com