Re: Various questions (mostly FTP)

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 12:47:59AM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 14.03.2004 schrieb Jwp um 00:05:
> > Good day I have few questions I was hoping you all could answer for me.
>
> > 1.)     Can anyone suggest an application that will show me the speed at
> > which my FTP server is pushing?  And/or what my download speed is?
>
> You can use wget, both on your machine itself to measure download speed
> rate, as well as on a remote machine for measuring the speed with which
> your FTP server offers data. Choose big files for transfer.

Are you testing the FTP server or your ISP, or the remote system and
his ISP?

If you are testing the ISP you need to test it from an external box
with more bandwidth than you have.

There are also some test sites out there.  Google search to find one
and after you dispatch the popups you can get some basic numbers with
a couple clicks.  For example....

  http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l