Re: stability of fedora for server application?

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, shane c branch wrote:

> Dexter Ang wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:01, shane c branch wrote:
> >> I currently have RH9 running on one of my servers at work. Now that the
> >> RH project has ended and Fedora has taken its place, I'm considering
> >> either upgrading or reinstalling that box with Fedora.
> >>
> >> However, I'm concerned if Fedora will be stable enough for the server. I
> >> would move to RHEL, but my dept isn't too keen on spending money at this
> >>   point, which also has me considering going to Debian, as it has a
> >> reputation for stability.
> >>
> >> Any opinions appreciated.
> >
> > This would all depend on what you need. As for me, I am running Fedora
> > Core 1 on our server without an problems so far. It's running the
> > following services:
> > - DNS
> > - DHCP Server
> > - Samba File Server
> > - SMTP and POP3
> > - MySQL, Apache, PHP for Groupware
> > - iptables for firewall and NAT.
> > Hardware it's running on is generic stuff. No name brand servers here.
> > With 3 IDE 40gb HDD configured as RAID5 array. We're cheap. But it runs
> > great. Of course, load is hardly ever maximized (maybe 50% at most).
> > Again, stability, I guess, would depend on what you use the server for.
> > Generally, Fedora is stable enough as a server. But I hear it's a pain
> > for SMP machines.
> >
> > dex
> >

> I would be using it for
> DCHP
> DNS
> SAMBA
> Potentially some web services, but that would only be for a small <20 users
>
> The hardware is an IBM Netfinity 5000 with dual PIII and 1gb of RAM.
> So if you are correct about SMP problems, maybe I should try Debian?

Since you are at a .edu, you should look at the academic pricing for RHEL.
If you have just a few machines, it's $25 for Workstation, $50 for
Advanced Server.  For wider deployment, the have pricing for RHN proxy
and license packages.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences