RE: samba Problem

To unsubscribe:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ryan Duff
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 5:40 PM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: samba Problem

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:51:58 -0500, Mario St-Gelais
<legrimpeur@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ryan Duff wrote:
>

>> First thing I would do is change security to "user" and make sure you
>> have a smb user created that matches the user/pass of your account on
>> your laptop. Add anoter variable to the global section "valid users =
>> (your username)" and add it again under your share. I had that problem
>> at first too, I fixed it by changing security to user and then ran into
>> the browse problem which I finally figured out yesterday. Let me know
>> what happens after those suggestions. Here is part of my smb.conf file:
>>
>> Ryan
>>
>> [smb.conf file snipped

> I am just about to fuckin give up here!!!!
>
> Did you suggested changes.  NO success.   But on top of that, now it
> won't let me run smbclient -L localhost.  I get messages like :
> "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" or "session setup failed:
> NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE".
>
> I have to comment the line "valid users = marst,mastg7" in the global
> settings in order to avoid getting these messages.
>
> I am shutting every thing down.  Had enough of that crap.

Well you're on the right track with the NT_Status error. I get that too,
and you should if you have it set to user. There's more you should have to
type into that command to get it to run correctly. If you read the man page
on smbclient (its long) it'll tell you about the other switches.

Do a "smbpasswd -a (username)" and give it a password that'll add the user.
It should be the same user/pass for windows, remember windows is case
sensitive. Then do a "smbpasswd -e (username you just created) to enable
the user, it'll get you to where I am. The only other 3 things you need to
make sure you have in your global section is:

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
password server = none

Check permissions on the folders (var and opt are both set to 755 with an
owner and group of root. That may be what's causing your problems
currently. Try going in to users and groups if the above still doesn't work
and add one of your users to the root group and see what happens.

Ryan