Re: Downgrading from RHEL

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:20:34 -0500 (EST)
Tom Ryan <tomryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Mansour wrote:
>
> > Which basically says that after your subscription
> > ends, you must delete the RHN Code from your systems.
> >
> > What exactly is the RHN code? the way I'm interpreting
> > this is the RHN code being the patches that are
> > downloaded, and not the RHEL 3 OS (the OS seems
> > covered under Appendix 1).
> >
> > ??
>
> Thats in the RHN Proxy/Satellite section. It would seem to me (and
> IANAL), that this refers to your "possession" of the RHN
> proxy/satellite software.

I guess I will go with Tom on this one: I believe the license is
referring to RHN on this specific clause. You two have just hit the
point: this is the exact reason why I started this thread -- to know
what happens to an installed RHEL server once the license expires from
the perspective of the system maintainer.

One possible scenario is, despite losing RHN, still being able to
maintain the system through public RHEL SRPM sites -- which should be ok
for usual package updates, but could be a problem for major version
upgrades (like RHEL 3.0 to RHEL3.x or 4.0).

The other possible scenario is that it is not feasible (either legally
or practically) to maintain a 'rogue' RHEL installation, and ceasing to
pay the license would mean a full reinstall. This would be a no-go.

Any other opinions/experiences out there?

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa