Re: Strange problem with crond ( more info )

I had create a directory under /etc called cron.night_backup

Inside this directory, i copied the script.

I added a line in /etc/crontab like this:

42 11 * * 1-5 root run-parts /etc/cron.night_backup

The script is executed by cron without problems when time comes.

¿?¿?

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

|         |           dballester@kernphar|
|         |           ma.com             |
|         |           Enviado por:       |
|         |           fedora-list-admin@r|
|         |           edhat.com          |
|         |           11/03/2004 11:37   |
|         |           Por favor, responda|
|         |           a fedora-list      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                             |
  |     Para:     fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx                                                                                        |
  |     cc:                                                                                                                     |
  |     Asunto:   Re: Strange problem with crond                                                                                |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks for your answer Tom.

This morning, i deleted the offending tmp.<number> file that /var/log/cron
claimed as ORPHAN, stopped crond an started again. Now i don't have ORPHAN
warning, but when times come, cron doesn't execute the script.

I used crontab -u root -e to force cron to point root user, but nothing
changed.

FYI ( I you can help me a little bite ) If I put the same script under
/etc/cron.hourly, then the script is executed correctly every hour ¿?

Thanks again

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

|         |           Tom Needs a Hat    |
|         |           Mitchell           |
|         |           <mitch48@sbcglobal.|
|         |           net>               |
|         |           Enviado por:       |
|         |           fedora-list-admin@r|
|         |           edhat.com          |
|         |           11/03/2004 11:32   |
|         |           Por favor, responda|
|         |           a fedora-list      |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |     Para:     fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
|
  |     cc:
|
  |     Asunto:   Re: Strange problem with crond

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

No passwd entry.
Check the pass word  files involved.

Local /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow as well as any invoked directly
or implied in the script.

Include interaction with stuff like the  MAILTO environment variable  in
crontab.
Perhaps you placed a file in /var/spool/cron for which there is no user
name
in the passwd file.

        if (strcmp(fname, "*system*") && !(pw = getpwnam(uname))) {
                /* file doesn't have a user in passwd file.
                 */
                log_it(fname, getpid(), "ORPHAN", "no passwd entry");
                goto next_crontab;
        }

--
             T o m  M i t c h e l l