Re: Downgrading from RHEL

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Mansour wrote:

> Hi Andre,

> It's my understanding (after attending a Red Hat
> seminar on the issue) that RHEL 3 is free software and
> always will be, what you're paying for is the support.
> So technically speaking, you can run RHEL on as many
> servers as you want, fully licensed, but the support
> that you pay for is what provides you with the
> patches.
>
> So again it's my understanding (correct me if I'm
> wrong please), you can run RHEL on as many servers as
> you want, and only pay for one subscription to grab
> the patches you need, or, if you choose not to renew a
> subscription, grab the patches you need from someone
> who lets you.

I think if you read the TOS, you will see that it prohibits this. There's
nothing to stop you from downloading the SRPMS, compiling them and
setting up your own system based on the resultant RPMS, but, downloading
them from RHN through a service agreement on one machine and then
installing them on another, is a no no..

I don't have the exact site handy, but I'm sure a 5 minute look at
www.redhat.com would have answered this question correctly :)

Tom

> Michael.

> http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Tom Ryan                                            Voice: 856-225-6361
Consulting System Administrator                       Fax: 856-969-7900
Rutgers School of Law - Camden