Re: Netstat -nr Problem

Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

Or alternatively you can configure the route in an route-eth0 file within the network-scripts directory instead of as a GATEWAY= setting in the ifcfg-eth0 file, and the route specified in route-eth0 is not applied to aliases.

I configure my gateway in the following manner, and have never had a problem with sub-interfaces picking it up multiple times:

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=saladin
GATEWAY=10.0.0.254

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*
NO GATEWAY entry

IMO this is more technically correct, as the default gateway is a system-wide setting, not an interface-dependant setting.