Re: XP/ FC1 on inspiron 5150

I have a dell 5100.
I have not had the need to recompile the kernel. Our systems our similar. I also found drivers for the dell truemoblile /broadcom wireless g cards at:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/?PHPSESSID=02c890f12a91ee06381cc7094d65cab0

acpi worked with out recompiling the kernel aswell
I just enabled the acpid service and added 'acpi = on' to the grub.conf

http://www.linuxforum.com/linux_tutorials/22/1.php

I also installed captive-ntfs, now I have read/write ntfs access

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

The only thing I have not been able to successfully implement is suspend

my system :

fedora 1/xp
2.6 pIIII
512 ddr2100
40 gig hdr
ati 7500
440x 10/100 NIC
Dell TrueMobile (broadcom) 1300 wireless g mini pci nic
dvd/cd/cdrw

::ronnie :: :

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 15:33, Pierre De Boeck wrote:
> 	Hi again,
>
> I am still in the process of "asking questions" for installing
> FC1 in dual-boot with an already installed XP.
>
> To recap my system:
> - Dell Inspiron 5150
> - 512MB DDR333
> - HDD 60GB. XP is installed on a 25 GB partition
> and I plan to install FC1 on the rest.
> - nvidia GEForce FX 5200
> - broadcom 440x 10/100 NIC
> - miniPici wireless 802.11g
> - ACPI
> - USB mouse
> - CD-RW/DVD
>
> After some reading, it seems that I have to get
> drivers from nvidia, broadcom plus an ACPI patch
> and some kernel recompilation will be needed.
>
> So my questions:
>
> - is the 3 ISO FC1 cds are enough to recompile the kernel
> or I need some extra packages. In other words, do these CDs
> contain the kernel soures plus the gcc and all the related
> stuff.

Yes

> - what is the general step-by-step procedure to recompile
> a kernel.

Pierre,

I am still confused by your need to recompile the kernel. I am using the
NIC "out of the box" without problems with a stock FC1 kernel. ACPI is
enabled, the system does not overheat and that is with the 3.2 Ghz P4 HT
(disabled) CPU running the UP kernel.

I have the internal touchpad working along with an external USB keyboard
and mouse.

I installed the NTFS read only kernel module from:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora1.html

I installed the NVidia 5336 drivers from the NVidia site, which require
that the driver be compiled (ie. kernel source is installed, but no
kernel recompile). There are other RPMS out there kindly provided by
folks in this community which would circumvent the need for even that
step.

I see that you have the CDRW/DVD, but I have the DVD+R/RW working to
both display movies and audio (ie. Ogle/MPlayer/XMMS) and to do DVD
burning for backups (k3b).

The only things that I don't have working yet are the internal modem,
suspend/resume and the internal WiFi, none of which I need at this
point. There appear to be drivers out there for the WiFi from my reading
of the Dell Linux Boards at:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=linuxport

however the consistent message is one of frustration with the Broadcom
internal modem in those same forums. Keep in mind that folks on those
forums are running various Linux distros, not just FC. There are also
folks there running 2.6 version kernels, that both solve and create
problems.

Perhaps I am missing something basic in what you are trying to do, but
to date, I have not had a need to recompile the kernel.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz