Re: Password-protecting fedora.

Ow Mun Heng wrote:

Both sound and video will work. (TM anyway) For sound, the irony is that, what happens if you're playing ogg files on xmms and then your wife logs in (using gdmflexiserver) and wants to listen to her wav files on xmms? You can do it, but you get 2 diff sounds coming out of 1 speaker. Why?? (you can do simultaneous streams through 1 sound card using the esd sound server. Look at that option under XMMS)

Video issues? What sorts? Please enlighten. I've not faced with it (yet).

Hmm.. Can you re-state what it is you "need"??

I am concerned about full access to run videos (DVD's) etc or games (Tux racer, Enemy Territory) and how they run. I guess that would depend on the Graphics card and processor.

I am also not sure what my wife will think of a different way of

accessing the computer.

Hmm... XP and MacOS have this same feature. So.. how can it be different?

We don't use either Mac or Windows so presenting the login/logout has been used since 1999 when we moved from OS/2 to Linux at home. My wife uses Mac at work. She doesn't like changes and strange key commands. Moving from StarOffice 5.2 to OpenOffice 1.0 dropped me in a world of trouble due to differences. Moving from Netscape 4 to 7 to Mozilla was it's own battle.

Every Windows machine that I have used was username and password then load stuff off of the network and then run. Of course this was at work. One network actually checked for any updates and changes to network configuration every login using BaseLine and was quite slow at times, sometimes even requireing a reboot while logging in.

I still stand by the original idea of having a seperate account for casual users.

Better separate account rather than the account which has _near_ full root
access using sudo.

My 2 cents

Ditto.

Now to get some time to experiment.  When is that next snow storm?

--
Robin Laing