Re: only user that can log in is root

thedogfarted wrote:
I have really big problem now that asks for reinstall if i don't get a better solution during next hour

I'm using wine to check which win games i can run in linux. For better performance i decided to log out from gnome and run wine without window manager. As i didn't find any way to exit gdm i started wine on next vt

startx wine commandos.exe -- :2

First i got error message form nvidia driver:

Error: Could not open /dev/nvidiactl because the permissions are too restrictive. Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps to correct.

README says:

...if your system has the file /etc/security/console.perms then you should edit the file and remove the line that starts with "<dri>"... Next, you will need to reset the permissions on the device files back to their original permissions and owner. You can do that with the following commands:
chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia* chown root /dev/nvidia*

And it is exactly what i did.

I wonder why there was no such error message before i tried to run wine with seperate xserver.

I can answer this question myself, it is a pam issue, not connected to wine or nvidia-glx:

From /etc/security/console.perms

<xconsole> 0600 <dri>        0600 root

When i launched wine in new xseesion, it was actually executed within xterm and pam set following atributes to /dev/nvidia*: owner root, permisions rw-------, when wine (and xterm) failed to start permisions weren't reset (actually they were set to value specified in 4th column in console.perms). Because of this fact glx failed to open /dev/nvidiactl even when i was back in gnome.

Now wine + commandos.exe worked fine, with no errors (although wine's output is allways full with fixme msgs). When i wanted log in, gdm said that there already is X server running on :0, it will try next one

And so on and on to the next display. First i thought it is gdm/x issue, tried first to restart, then kill gdm, reboot. I wasn't able to log in via terminal too - i entered username and password and got the same login prompt. Threre's a following message in /var/log/messages:

Mar 9 20:03:26 yarrow login(pam_unix)[4278]: session opened for user speles by LOGIN(uid=0)
Mar 9 20:03:26 yarrow init: open(/dev/pts/0): No such file or directory

Accidentaly i figured out that root is the only user able to log in - both in x and terminal. I created new user, thought maybe something is wrong with configuration files. I wasn't able to log in with the new username too.

I thought it could be pam issue, because i edited it's config files, so i reinstalled pam (with rpm -ivh --force). Now the files are old ones, but still the only user that is able to log in is root.

Probably i'll have to reinstall the whole system... again :( (at least now i know that previous time i could get though by reinstalling only nvidia driver and turn back prelinking)