Re: Where is my CD-R?

Don Levey wrote:

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 22:04, Jeff Vian wrote:

Paulus Tamba wrote:

Don Levey wrote:
| OK, I know it's probably a silly question, but here goes:
| How can I determine which device is my CD burner?
| I'm trying to use k3b, gnometoaster, or xcdroast. None of them seem to
| recognise that I've got a burner in the machine. I'm sure there's a
| simple command to find this, but I don't know what it is.
|
| TIA,
| -Don

If you are on FC1 or one of the earlier RH distros, the cd burner should be running under the ide-scsi module.

use lsmod to see if ide-scsi is loaded.

Yep, I'm on FC1, with a compiled 2.6.3 kernel. The ide-scsi is in fact
loaded. I'm not quite sure what I changed, but I can occasionally see
the device in random programs. It seems to be identified as /dev/sd0 or
/dev/scd0.

You initially indicated FC1 and did not specify the 2.6.3 kernel (id initialy has the 2.4.22 kernel)
Other responses have given information on using cdrecord with the 2.6 kernels.