ethernet to dialup transition

Hi folks,

I'll be losing my broadband connection for about a week soon, and I'll need to use an external modem and Earthlink dialup to access the 'net - obviously not a 24/7 connection. Two related questions:

1) Easiest way to "prepare" FC1 for the transition from LAN to dialup? Last time I had an ethernet outage, GNOME was very unhappy and became almost unusable. Keep in mind I'll be coming back to the ethernet soon after, so I don't want to lose that configuration..

2) Best way to configure a dialup connection in FC1?

Thanks!

Ben