Re: New mailing list: fedora-selinux

Jeff Vian wrote:

My point was that everyone should have enough initiative that, if they are even slightly interested in the topic, they will at least spend a few seconds to research the topic. A few seconds spent checking available resources will educate them greatly and then they can ask better questions and learn even more. Or they can decide they are not interested and leave it alone, with or without the time spent checking.

And that's a valid point. The counterpoint, however, is that if all that's provided is a package name (or name and changelog) there's no real way for people to even know that they'd be slightly interested.

If I see a post that a new 'mootastic' package now ready and fully FC1 compatible, I don't know if mootastic is a word processor, USB framework, music manager, or a game where you shoot cows out of cannons.

Even if I'm interested in new USB frameworks, and would investigate further when any such package was announced, I don't have the time to investigate every random package that might possibly be something interesting, yet it would be a shame for people to not know that something might be out there that solves a problem they have just because it didn't sound relevant based on the provided name.

Package announcements -should- contain just enough information for us to be able to make a reasonable decision about whether or not the package is interesting or relevant to us individually. After that, it's our responsibility (as you point out) to look into it further before asking random questions.