Re: Password-protecting fedora.

Maynard Kuona wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:fedora-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 10:38 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Password-protecting fedora.

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 09:01:20AM +0100, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:
....>

I know about the built-in security, I was just asking if it was possible
to pw-protect evolution the way I described because then I wouldn't have
to lock my screen for leaving the computer for a few minutes and I
wouldn't have to log in with another account when somebody wanted to
borrow it for something...

This leads to the whole thing of
"I want to allow everyone around to use my computer/account but I want privacy on my mail."

Guess the OP needs to learn a few basic security practices.

When not at the computer either lock the screen or log off.
The only alternative that is feasible is don't use anything you don't want the world to see and don't give yourself access to anything you don't want the world to use.

Basic security on ANY pc is to do that, and to have a guest account of some form that casual users can use if you allow them to sit and use your computer unsupervised.

Having a separate account for casual users (snoopers) provides a means of tracking what is being done by them. Allowing them to use *your account* means anything they do is recorded as being done by you.