Re: Password-protecting fedora.

Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:

I know about the built-in security, I was just asking if it was possible
to pw-protect evolution the way I described because then I wouldn't have
to lock my screen for leaving the computer for a few minutes and I
wouldn't have to log in with another account when somebody wanted to
borrow it for something...
If this was a corporate computer it wouldn't be an issue, I would never
let anyone do anything with my account on a corporate network, this is
my home computer though, and there are allways people visiting that
needs to check their mail, or print something out etc...

If all your secrets are on the mail server then the password to check for mail gives you the protection you want. If there is anything secret on your hard disk - saved or sent mail for example - and you don't trust your guests, then you do need to lock the screen to stop them from reading the files, and in that case you should probably run a second X server where your guests can log in. You could set your display manager (probably GDM) to start two X servers automatically at boot.

Björn Persson