Re: Text editors

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 07:22:30AM +0100, Pinco wrote:

> I have a certain number of text editors - vi, gedit, emcs etc. - do I
> need all of them? Which one(s) do you suggest me to uninstall?
> Nino

Mr. Pinco should install "pico" of Pine fame.
Mr. Nino should install "nano".

More seriously....  install vi (vim) and any GUI text editor that you
like.  "gedit" is ok as a first editor.

All editors are personal preference.

Learning Emacs and Xemacs is a project.  But once learned the rewards
are substantial for a programmer.  Since you are asking I would say
skip the emacs stuff.

vim (improved vi) is very cool and if it existed way back when, emacs might
not be so famous.  vim  has context filters that make editing many system
config files a bit less painful.   I have grown to like vim a lot (but
I am using emacs now ;-).

If you want the space uninstall one or both emacs and xemacs.

You can reinstall any of them later!

Editors very quickly become a personal thing.   Almost none are simple
so pick one and learn it.   On RH/Fedora "vim" is a good choice to learn.

Speaking of learn does anyone have a working copy of the old BSD
program "learn".  "learn" had lots of vi and ex tricks that saved my
bacon way back when.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net