Install from USB disk

Hi.

I have a PC here with a blank hd, no CDrom and no floppy, and PXE
is not supported by the bios.

However, I do have an USB-disk (Maxtor OneTouch 250GB) and bios supports
booting from USB-devices.

Does anyone have any experience on installing from USB?

I have tried to basically follow the guide for debian at
http://d-i.pascal.at/

- Creating a (small - 500 MB)  fat16-partition with fdisk (and making it
  bootable)
- Running mkdosfs /dev/sda1
- running syslinux /dev/sda1
- copyied everything from boot.iso (from fedora-devel) to the partition
- creating a syslinux.cfg with vmlinuz as the default kernel

I have also tried to set boot device to both USB ZIP, USB CD, USB FDD
and USB HDD int he bios, but no matter what, the system hangs after
"Verifying DMA data"

Any tips would be appreciated on how to make this disk the installation
media.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen