Re: problems sending mail with pine

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:21:47PM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Preston wrote:
> >I installed pine but I cant send mails using it. Simply stays in Sending
> >mail forever. What is the problem?
>
> Let's try to find out if the problem is even in pine...
>
> Can you send mail using 'mail'?
>
> Also, what does your .pinerc look like?

In specific check the line in .pinerc that looks like:

  smtp-server=

If it is the default (above) then you need sendmail listening on
localhost and that sendmail must in turn know how to talk to your ISP
or what ever.

You can also configure pine to know about your ISP so you do
not have to setup sendmail to talk to the world.

  smtp-server=smtp.your.isp.com/user=BigBob
or
  smtp-server=smtp.your.isp.com

I like "Mail -v " to debug some things.

Do some googling on Pine.  There are some great Pine Nuts out there.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net