Re: License!

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 13:20 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:12:46 -0300 Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior <npaulo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I wish to use MySQL 4.x with Fedora Core 1 and PHP 4.x, may I, or may
> > not????
>
> you probably can. in particular, if your application is not for sale,
> you should be free and clear.
>
> if your application is for sale, well, things are more complicated.

Please, stop spreading that lie right now.

You can charge for distributing copies of your software even when linked
with the GPL'ed libraries.

HOWEVER, never forget that you must respect the GPL distribution
requirements, which include covering the combined program with the GPL
as well.

What you CAN'T DO, is non-GPL'ed program with MySQL's GPL'ed libraries.

MySQL abuses the confusion between proprietary and commercial in their
site in order to mislead people into thinking they have to buy a special
license when a lot of times they don't need to, they just need to make
it fully Free (as in speech) Software for everyone.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?