Re: PCMCIA problem

Fernando J. Vargas wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked already 1000 times... but here it goes.

I have just installed Fedora Core 1 as a clean install in a Vaio Laptop
and i cant get my wireless pcmcia card to work.
It simply does not recognize any type of pcmcia card, cardmgr doesnt
even do the beep thing its supposed to do.

My experience is with a Compaq Presario 2100, so this may not help you, but I found that the new 2.6 kernels for Fedora Core 2 Test 1 work with my pcmcia hardware correctly, whereas the 2.4 kernels did not. And turning on acpi via "acpi=on" as a boot line argument (added in /boot/grub/grub.conf) was absolutely essential on this hardware. You might give both of those a try.

Another thing to check is what messages are written to the system log when you try to start the pcmcia service. Open a terminal then
su - and enter root password
service pcmcia stop
tail -f /var/log/messages& will monitor the syslog as a background task (which writes through to your terminal still).
service pcmcia start
Google any messages that appear to be errors or warnings, and if you find nothing, reply including the messages.

To stop the tail enter "fg" to bring it from a background task to foreground, and "ctrl-c" to stop it.

  Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021