Re: OT gripe [Was: Thanks!]

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

    They are coming from PC's, not linux boxes....my mailbox is full of
people whose addresses I don't know, and they say I've sent'em email...
but it's impossible.

Just to pick a bothersome nit, but 'PC' (personal computer) refers only to the -hardware-, not the software running on it (PCs are traditionally based on AT or XT form factor x86 compatible systems).

"They are coming from PCs, not linux boxes" doesn't strictly make sense, as most personal linux boxes are PCs (as opposed to PowerPC or server systems).

From context, I suspect you meant to say something like "they are coming from Windows, not Linux, PCs".

I apologize for the OT issue, but this is one of those little wrongnesses that really bugs me for some reason, so I'm on a general quest of education to stamp it out.

My personal favorite is when people call the PC (as in the case with all the bits in) a "hard drive" or "the CPU"..

Really does my head in.. :)

Later..