Re: sendmail issues...

Am Do, den 04.03.2004 schrieb Tim Welch um 08:59:
> A little background before my question...

[ snipped background story ]

> So, I decided to start fresh... I built a NEW box, to be my mail server,
> so I have a separate box for http and mail.  So, I installed Redhat9.0,
> and then upgraded it to Fedora (because I could not get anaconda to run
> for some reason...)   Anyway, after installing fedora freshly on this new
> box, I configured sendmail, and I get the EXACT same problem with smtp.
> No matter what I do, I cannot authenticate the user to log in, it gives me
> the same old "did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN" crap...
>
> Please someone help me out...
>
> Thanks!

Do you contact your mail server inside your LAN or from outside through
your 'firewall'? You should configure Sendmail to produce a more verbose
maillog. Put in sendmail.mc the line

define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `15')dnl

and regenerate your sendmail.cf to restart Sendmail.

Do you run an anti-virus program like Norton on your Windows[tm] box? If
so disable outgoing mail checks because the Norton tool destroys the
STARTTLS process (long known bug, never fixed).

If you can not find the reason please reply with the corresponding
/var/log/maillog entries. For debugging you might also first try without
STARTTLS and normal authentification. It's always best to debug first
with the simplest setup.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 15:36:16 up 13 days, 17:10, load average: 0.17, 0.19, 0.18
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]