Re: email servers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron" <aamehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:40 AM
Subject: email servers

> Hi all,
>
> I have been experiencing email problems, I found out from a friend that
> my ISP has changed a lot of settings (due to the various worms and
> viruses.
>
> He setup his own mail server on his doze box. I thought to do the same
> so when I installed FC1 I checked email server.
>
> But I still have no clue what I installed I gather sendmail.
>
> For a newbie is the a good choice or should I be using something else.
>
> This is more a get my feet wet experience than anything else, but I do
> want to come out of this with some 'email servering' skills and a system
> that works.
>
> suggestions
>
> thanks
> Aaron

Not a bad choice but the learning curve is a tad steep. It's a reading thing
I'm afraid so roll up yer sleeves and dive in. Ultimately you won't regret
it - I did it several years ago and the mail server gives me an easy life -
look at the logs every day but it just does it's stuff day in day out. It's
getting everything squared in the first place that takes the time I'm
afraid. The documentation online is good and get a hold of the SRPM because
that has good information in too. If you have a spare £30 get the O'reilly
bat book it answers loads of questions and is a handy reference to have on
hand.

Bry