Re: RH 7.3 to FC 1 - changing Apache first?

Am Do, den 04.03.2004 schrieb Danny Yee um 02:19:
> I have a production server I'm planning to move from RH 7.3 to FC 1...
> To reduce the trauma involved, I'd like to do some of the service
> changes independently.
>
> Has anyone got any advice on this?  Can I try upgrading e.g. Apache
> without doing a full system upgrade?
>
> Danny.

Trying to upgrade only Apache will run you in a dependency scenario
where you see no end. Better forget that idea, you would need to
exchange more than half of your system. Save the time and headaches and
do a whole upgrade or a clean new install.

I had a RH 7.2 server where I have chosen to freshly install with FC1
and do no upgrade. Fortunately I initially had made a good partitioning,
this way it was easy to format / and keep parts of /var and the /home.
Of course, I did backup the whole machine before. I was glad with my
decision to freshly install. On a test system I prepare migration of
Apache 1.3 to 2.0, Sendmail was already 8.12 on the old RH7.2 system and
the rest was fun.

In short form, upgrading Apache alone will probably end up in a
disaster. Take a test system with Apache 2.0 and change and test what's
need to be changed. After that either upgrade or do a clean fresh
install and copy data and things from a previous backup.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 02:30:55 up 13 days, 4:04, load average: 0.22, 0.41, 0.54
                   [ ÎÎÏÎÎ Ï'ÎÏÏÎÎ - gnothi seauton ]