Re: Fedora the right choice?

George Lemos wrote:

I am building a server to do several things. Host a simple website and web
forum, host a voice communications utility, and run a multiplayer game
server for about 20-25 people. FYI system specs P4 1.4ghz, 1GB ram. I can
easily get this going on a windows server which is what I do for a living.
But in an effort to force myself to learn and get more experience with Linux
I would like to commit to running this box with Linux.

Linux may use less of the boxes resources too.

Is fedora the right choice for me? Will this distro of Linux get me to the
level of success I am looking for? I'm planning on doing this the command
line route all the way. I am assuming if I install this OS minus the GUI
I'll have extra resources for the box to do its thing.

As a Linux novice, anything I should know or look into, be aware of, etc
that people on this list can recommend to me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
/g

I use Fedora, an AMD 1Ghz CPU, and 500MB Ram to run a source control server, web server with JSP/Java applications, ftp server, and Firebird and MySQL database servers. It handles the load quite well. I also use another machine as my work station. My work station is a tri boot Windows XP Professional, Fedora, and BEOS machine. It spends more time booted to Fedora. As another user posted I turn the GUI off on my server. I use VNC to graphically manage my server when I need to.

Wade