Re: Three Questions from a Linux Virgin

Quoting Terry Polzin <fox3ec208@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Tuesday March 2 2004 19:26, sreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Yesterday I installed Fedora on a stand-alone machine at
> > home.
> >
> > Q1) When I mount my USB flash drive I can only write to the
> > drive as root. I logged in as root and tried to change
> > permissions for all users to RWE (777?), but I get a message
> > that says that I don't have permission to change permissions
> > on the flash drive. I thought root was god, so my wild guess
> > is that there is something wrong with my entry for sda1 in
> > fstab:
> >
> > /dev/sda1  /mnt/removable  auto  auto,user,rw  0 0
> >
> > Is there something wrong with this entry?
> Unmount the flash drive, what are the permissions on the mount point
> with the
> flash unmounted.  Change permissions on mount points with devices
> unmounted.

I don't think so. Mount points' permissions are derived from the permission of
the root directory of the mounted volume. I guess in this case the FS is VFAT
was mounted as root (thus having all files/dirs owned by root) and accessed by a
user. Just mount it as the user trying to access it in that case.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@xxxxxxxxxx