Re: {Spam?} Re: Three Questions from a Linux Virgin

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 05:46:00 -0500
Ghod <ghod@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would suggest throwing out the printer NOT linux. but that's just
> me.
>
> Ghod
>
> sreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Thanks all for your kind help, it's been much appreciated.
> >
> >Someone directed me to linuxprinting.org and a quick check
> >of the database confirmed that the LBP-810 is most probably
> >a "winprinter". linuxprinting.org rates my printer as a
> >"Paperweight" and to quote the database "These printers
> >don't work at all. They may work in the future, but don't
> >count on it." :-(
> >
> >Oh well...
> >
> >I will continue to look for a solution, but I suspect the
> >Linux operating system is not for me as long as I own this
> >printer.
> >
> >Regards and thanks, Steve

And don't forget to send an angry email to Canon complaining they don't
provide Linux drivers. We have to keep the pressure so that hardware
manufacturers actively support Linux -- lots of them already do, but
much more need to jump in.

I do it whenever I can. A while ago, my internet banking didn't work on
any other browser than IE. I phoned, sent emails and such. They didn't
seem too reactive at the beginning, but now they have specific
(and decent) support for non-IE browsers (Mozilla, FireFox, Opera).

So, "get up, stand up, stand up for your rights".

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa