Re: external usb drive

Colin Charles wrote:

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 06:19, Sarah Fish wrote:

How do I access an external usb 2.0 harddrive? I have read a couple of "How-tos", but something isn't registering in my brain. I've had a very bad day!

Plug it in. Watch /var/log/messages (tail -f /var/log/messages as root). See what the device gets registered as.

Generally, it should work such that you perform:
	mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/extdisk

Where vfat is the filesystem type of the usb hard drive, /dev/sda1 is
what you picked up from the messages, and /mnt/extdisk is the path to
mount it.

All the best.

Keep in mind that you cannot mount an usb drive from /etc/fstab, because it is an usb-scsi emulation, put the mount in /etc/rc.local like
fsck -p /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

Do you need it as /usr or so, then you might put this in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit after the initialization of usb.

sincerly

--
Peace is everywhere
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl