Re: vsftpd error - "fail to open directory" - slow progress - Fixed

Fixed.  Thanks to all.

Bob

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

On Monday 01 March 2004 09:16 am, Bob Hartung wrote:

Hi,
 I am making progress on vsftpd but have hit a hurdle.  This is on a
protected in house network. No open internet link.
 I can log in as anonymous.  I do not see /var/ftp/pub directory.  If I
try a "ls" command I receive the following error:

      150 Here comes the directory listing.
      226 Transfer done (but failed to open directory.)

vsftpd.conf contains:
anon_root=/var/ftp/pub
anonymous_enable=YES
write_enable=YES
anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
anonymous_enable=YES

Duplicate - may only want one of theses.

no_anon_password=YES
write_enable=YES

Duplicated.

listen=YES
nopriv_user=ftpsecure

I have changed the owner and group of the /var/ftp and /var/ftp/pub
directories to ftpsecure.
The /var/ftp/pub directory contains several files that I do not see
after loging in.  All are world readable.

Could you show the output of the following command:
$ ls -ald /var/ftp/pub

This will show us what the permissions of /var/ftp/pub are, and who owns it.

For a while I was wondering if there was a second vsftpd.conf file being
read, but I changed the banner
line and this chage was reflected when I logged in.

Did you have to change the firewall at all? When I installed vsftpd on FC1, I had to run the following command to get everything to work through iptables:

# insmod ip_conntrack_ftp

What does /var/log/messages say when you try to ls?