Re: Email Servers? Basic advise needed.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Ron Henderson wrote:

> Hello all,
>

>             I am looking at building my first Linux email system. I very
> much would like to use Linux over windows/exchange for all the obvious
> reasons. The Servers need to host @1400 pop3 accounts. I was wondering
> if any of you could tell me if it is possible to cluster multiple mail
> servers for redundancy/performance. What distro / mail server software
> do you all recommend?
>

> Ron

While it isn't a mail server list I suggest you check out the MailScanner
list.  The folks there are professional and friendly.  Most are mail
sysadmins and some administer some pretty large systems (+100k
emails/day).  They can also tell you the best way to set up an HA system.

BTW, I highly recommend MailScanner.  If you're going to be running an
email server then you need to scan for virii and spam.  MailScanner runs
on top of your MTA (sendmail needs no configuring) and will call whatever
virus scanners you have installed.  Most serious folks have several
installed.  It also works seamlessly with SpamAssassin.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer