Re: Reading Live SMB Files

I have not been following this thread TOO closely, as it got far to
wordy far to quickly..

I am running a combined windows/linux network at my office, where some
of the linux users have to access the SMB shares (as it's easier to do
that then set up NFS clients on the windows machines).

I was faced with the same problem that you have and found a nice little
utility called pam_mount.

It has two config files, global (for the box) and local (for the
individual). You can set up all the mount points you may desire (not
limited to smb). The username/password is obtained at the time the user
log's in to the machine (either at the console or via GDM).

No username/passwords need to be stored any where on the local machine.

Not as nice as "Network Neighbourhood" in windows, but a hell of a lot
better then then the GNOME solution :(

Doug