second XServer?

Unfortunately the Red Hat search facility for the mailing lists is
currently unavailable. Sometimes ago there was a discussion how to start
a second XServer on the same machine using a different XF86config file
(usually I use a dual head configuration, but some progs are crashing
the system in dual head mode (e.g. Open Office) so I wish to set up a
second display using <Ctrl><F8> which uses a single display
configuration).

Does someone remember the details?

Thanks
Peter