Re: DHCP failing in FC1

At 07:39 2/27/2004, you wrote:
NOTE: If you use the network configuration tool ( redhat-config-network ( soon to be system-config-network)) it will create the file for you and save it. Then a boot will automatically start that interface unless you have it set the activate at boot option to no. I have not tried the profiles, but I assume that is where you can override the boot options and specify which interfaces are activated for each profile.

I've used that tool extensively since it first appeared in RHL 8.0 or 9, and it works quite well. You make differente profiles (home, work, hotel, whatever). Then you make a COPY (not an alias, a copy) of each interface for every profile in which you want to use that interface (if you only use one interface at work, you only need to create that one copy, not one for every interface). Then you tell redhat-config-network which interfaces to activate on each profile. Works like a charm.

You can also then do the netprofile thing someone mentioned in your grub.conf, so you can boot up your machine and tell GRUB which profile to use right from the start. I don't normally do this on my notebook, but only because I standby or suspend between meetings mostly. Get to the new network, change the profile, restart the network, and away we go.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com