Re: new kernel for a newbie

On Feb 27, 2004 at 18:49, Rogelio Bazan Reyes in a soothing rage wrote:

>hi,
>i have some questions:
>i compiled my new kernel, i create a bzImage and copied to the /boot/
>folder.
>Do i need to generate the System.map and the initrd and other files that
>are in the same folder and have names including the kernel version?
The System.map file should be in the base directory ie
/path/to/linux-{version}. The initrd file can be created
using mkinitrd. See the man page for more details. The
easiest way to do it is just to do 'make modules_install &&
make install'.

NOTE: I do not know what kernel you compiled so do not
execute the 'make modules_install && make install' without
first changing the kernel version in /path/to/linux-{version}/Makefile
to something that is not in the /boot directory.

N.Emile...
Those who claim the dead never return to life haven't ever been around
here at quitting time.
 16:02:40  up 86 days, 20:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00