riddle this: disc2 fails media test. And YES I have checked md5, etc...

Dear Fedora gurus, PLEASE read everything I've tried
before responding. This is crazy!

I cannot get the yarrow-i386-disc2 to pass the media
test. CD's 1 and 3 pass the media test. CD 1 seems
useable since I can start the install. CD 2 is
partialy useable since I can continue the install, but
does not fully work. The failing of CD 2 is
understandable since it doesn't pass the media test.

Here's the good part. YES, I have really...

...fully downloaded the iso image from 3 different
mirrors. (636 MB (667,516,928 bytes) according to
WinXP Home and Cygwin and Solaris)
...rechecked the downloads using rsync (no changes).
...confirmed the md5 checksum matches the posted
checksum.
...double checked the checksum using the md5sum binary
on Solaris and Cygwin.
...triple checked the posted checksum from 3 different
sites. (fd23fe32fafe7557f5d1fa1d31100580)
...burned at 24x 16x 4x and even 1x.
...burned using 2 different iso burn utilities
...verified I am burning the CD as an image, not just
burning the .iso file as a single file.
...burned through about 9 CDs from two different sets
(some from home, some swiped from cube-mate).
...placed 3 tiki statues around my laptop (left,
right, and on the touchpad) while sprinkling magic
voo-doo dust (powdered sugar) on the screen.

All of the CD's I've burned before (and since) work
fine. The other Fedora iso images (discs 1&3) seem
fine.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A-10-S169, WinXP Home Ed.
2002 sp1 (current patch level AFAIK), VMware
workstation version 4.0.5 build-6030.

WHAT the fedora is going on here?
What silly/obvious problem am I missing?
What else can I try?

Please help! I'm losing my mind! TIA!
-john