Sendmail required?

I noticed severe lag time in sendmail at boot. so I disabled it.

is this going to interfere with anything..

this is a desktop box, I can't imagine there's any dep's requiring
sendmail, and so far nothing has complained.

If I do require it, how can I speed it's load time?

I presume something with network config.