Re: xmms blocks sound device

thedogfarted wrote:

Wade Chandler wrote:

thedogfarted wrote:

i noticed one more interesting thing - i can listen to xmms and cdplayer in the same time... cdplayer continues to play even after the system is halted

thedogfarted wrote:

Hi

I installed Fedora Core 1 today and got bad surprise - et failed to start because xmms was blocking the soundcard. My previous os was freeBSD 5.2 and then i was able to play et and listen to xmms

pls give me some advice...

What sound server are you using?

where can i see it? xmms is using oss plugin, configured with /dev/dsp audio device and /dev/mixer mixer device

Artsd is one example of a sound server. This is an area where the linux community has to come together. The standard sound system works the way you are describing.

You can use ALSA or Arts for your sound. If you are are using Artsd you can change the output of XMMS to use the artsd plugin. Artsd will allow multiple sound outputs. artsdsp will start my app and redirect my sound system calls to artsd. If you don't have this plugin by default you can download it from the xmms home page.

I'll look for the plugin. I think have alsa but i need more free time to look at the docs.

Sometimes, but not as often as I believe it should work, you can use artsdsp for you sound. artsdsp will run your application for you redirecting sound system calls to arts. Lets say I have an app call playmysounds. I would do this:
artsdsp playmysounds
artsdsp will find my app on the path and run it as a child process redirecting sound lib calls.

What we need is a multi process kernel level sound system for /dev/dsp. This means we need another layer of abstraction between the sound driver and the device files I believe. Currently it does not spool in the manner the sound servers do. I like to write java applications as well as C apps, but my java apps have to use the standard sound services for sound output. Thus, my apps block the sound device, or they don't output sound because of another application hogging the device.

hmmm... my only java app that uses sound works ok

You best bet with XMMS is to use something like artsd and then to set XMMS to use the artsd plugin for sound output. KDE makes using Artsd very easy from the control panel.

I'm using GNOME :)

Wade

Exactly,

Your java app works because you are using the standard sound system. I believe this to be the case because the way you described XMMS working. Mine works like that too, but not if I'm running a sound server which hogs the sound device wanting other apps to use it for output that the vm doesn't have a plugin for. The JVM doesn't have Artsd plugins or drivers. It behaves like XMMS by default. I have java apps that use sound and work fine as long as I'm not streaming sound in XMMS or something else. Thus the crux of the matter. If you write a program that doesn't have plugins for the enumerous different sound servers then you are limiting your user, but it is a major effort to support different sound api's and keep everything up to date, so without a standard it is limiting to developers. That was why I mentioned the need to unify and address this issue in the Linux community. I think the 2.6 kernel may be trying to do this exact thing, but I'm not sure yet.

Wade