Re: Much trouble getting dual-boot working

You can keep your paritions as they are, you don't need to change them. If this all goes pear-shaped you can re-install Fedora and choose the default options for booting and just stop worrying about it :-)

I did this twice when I first started to try this (reinstalled Fedora and accepted all default options for booting) and it didn't work - that's how I got into this trouble in the first place. :-)

I am going to try again: I'm going to use Partition Magic to get rid of all partitions except the WinXP and Dell Diag ones. I'm going to remove all space I made between the DellUtil and WinXP partitions (where I tried to put /boot) so that it will appear as shipped, except with 60G unpartitioned space at the end of the drive. I will then do a fresh install of Fedora, accepting all defaults, which I believe will want to install Grub in the MBR. I suspect this won't work, as it didn't seem to before, but I will defer to your knowledge and will try it again. :-)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know in 45 minutes or so if it worked.

--

Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst