Re: Broken Pipe Error Message

Gary Waters wrote:
Nope...no matter how I do it I get the same problem. If I type su in text mode setup utility, an x-popup opens asking me for the root password. The same situation occurs. I get a broken pipe error message as soon as I highlight and try to enter the firewall settings section. I logged into root and killed the account, folders and all, remade it, and then tried afresh. I get the same broken pipe error even with a newly created account.

I'd just like to understand what's going on and if this is a bug in fedora. I need to be able to drop the firewall to dcc chat with eggdrop bots on irc...

That x-popup worries me a little.
I've seen broken pipe messages on authentication when the system is set up to use LDAP and the LDAP server goes down.
What's in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file?
As a quick fix, can you drop the firewall using 'service iptables stop'?

I know this possibly qualifies as a newbie question, but when I subscribed to the list it did not mention that this was a list for advanced users only. I tend to post to mailing lists after I've run up against a dead end with other resources...

This is a list for all users of Fedora, it's not limited to any specific level of experience. The more experienced are here to help the less experienced, and each other.

I apologize for joining late and not having all the details of the original problem handy, but with the archive down I'm stuck with what we've got here. Further apologies if my suggestions are therefore off base.