Failed to execute child process

I am a beginner in Linux. Finally I was able to install Fedora Core 1 on my home PC, dual boot with WinXP. It's an P4, 256 Mb, HDD 40 Gb (Linux native ext3 - 9 Gb, swap - 500 Mb). Everything is fine for a while. After 20-30 minutes from starting working in Gnome desktop, when I try to launch another application I see the message "Cannot launch entry Details: Failed to execute child process gnome-terminal (Input/output error)". The applications running still working.
I cannot shutdown, the message is "EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,3)) in start_transaction: journal has aborted".
I reboot with check the filesystem but the behavior is the same.
Is it a hardware problem?
If there is some one to help me, I really appreciate it!

Many thanks,
Florin Pop