Re: routing

> Am Fr, den 27.02.2004 schrieb linux server um 06:45:
>> For some reason I am having a tough time getting my linux server to act
>> as a router.  Can someone give me some basic instructions so that I can
>> figure out what I am missing
>
> You should ive some information about the task the route has to perform:
> - routing between two offfical standard networks
> - routing from a private network (home/office) with adress translation
> - what type of networks (ethernet - ethernet / cable - ethernet / ...)
> - firewall requirements
>
> As a first information you may study
>   http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/howto/2.4routing.html
>
> Peter
for just having basic routing functions, check in /proc/sys/net/ipv4
whether your ip_forward is set to 1. if no, do echo 1 > ip_forward and
your fedora box should immediately handle as a router.

check with /sbin/route, whether your routes to your other networks are set
clearly, specially the default gateway.

as mentionned above, this does just routing between 2 tcp/ip-networks, no
masquerading/NAT and other security issues. To configure this out easily
and quickly i could recommend firestarter.

HTH
Roger