Re: grub and windows XP

There are several ways to do this. If grub is not in the MBR and you do not have a 3rd party boot manager like BootMagic of System Commander then the machine will only boot XP unless you boot from diskette or change the Active partition in FDISK--both of which suck. In Win9x/ME it was possible to have a Windows boot diskette that would load all DOS-level drivers from tthe FATxx partition change the COMSPEC and load Windows, so you could have a Windows startup diskette as well, but that just changes which OS has to boot off the FDD assuming you don't want to use fdisk. And that won't work for XP (in theory one could make a CD to pull this off). So the best answer is to just use grub. It will work in nearly all cases unless there is a problem with the disk's geometry, i.e., a mismatch with the BIOS parameters or a problem with the partition table.

Just use grub. It works.

Ron