display

Hi,

I am a linux newbie, who recently installed
fedora core 1 on my desktop. The installation
went smoothly. However, I find that when I
run a plot software (remotely), I get the
message "Xpm failure -4". Also the color blue
seems to have been replaced by the color grey.

When I ran xdpyinfo on the desktop, I found that
the deafult visual was using pseudocolor at a
depth of 8. There is an other desktop over here
for which the default visual is truecolor at a
depth of 24 and this desktop is able to display
colors on the plot software correctly. Could this
be the reason and if so how can I change the default
visual ?

Thanks in advance.

Prem