Re: Is SMP stability any better?

Res wrote:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Ben Stringer wrote:

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 00:04, Res wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, WipeOut wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has found the latest SMP kernel and more stable..

I found it fine for the first day and a half but after that it started
hanging the system more than once per day.. It seems that this issue
will be around till FC2 comes out since it has not been fixed in all the
kernel releases since FC1 came out..

forget it... avoid like the plague

I've run each FC1 smp kernel round the clock and had no hangs with any
of them. Asus CUV4X-DSL, 2 x 1Ghz PIII. I always install everything. My
systems tends to run for 30-40 days between reboots.

After reading the quoted bug report, I'm feeling that I'm somehow
lucky....

very lucky, like maybe the only one :) however you should go for alot longer than 30 days, should be hundreds of days, like 7.3 used to and 9 (never ran 8)

Well, not quite the only one... :)

I have had no problems [dual XEON 2.0]. However, I also installed everything....

Reading the bug report, *most* people seem to think that it is related to NFS/SMB mounts. So, this morning, I NFS mounted a drive. I'll let you know in a couple of days... :)

The other thing that seems to be related is many people do *not* install everything, rather they install a server or workstation. However, Ben and I have both installed the kitchen sink.

In terms of running of hundreds of days, unlikely with new kernels on about a bi-monthly basis... :)

BTW:

[keven@cirrus ~]$ uname -r
2.4.22-1.2174.nptlsmp
[keven@cirrus ~]$ uptime
08:49:20  up 4 days, 21:25,  5 users,  load average: 0.83, 0.80, 0.73